Coming to therapy for a couple is never an easy decision. We offer therapy to any two people that consider themselves a couple. Often times couples are looking for an outsider’s perspective, a neutral party, or a “referee.” When working with couples, we teach skills that can be practiced and applied outside the sessions so that couples can confirm, strengthen or restore their love on a daily basis.
We offer therapy for couples of every orientation utilizing Gottman Method Therapy which is based on John Gottman’s 40 years of research with couples. The Gottman Method is practical and skills based—empowering partners to improve their communication, deepen their connection, and better-manage conflict.
During couples counseling, we seek to address barriers that may be hindering your relationship satisfaction and offer guidance in any of the following area:
- Improving communication
- Strengthening friendship and admiration
- Exploring ways to argue more productively
- Creating dialogue around trust and fears of infidelity
- Enhancing intimacy and closeness
- Experiencing life transitions more smoothly
- Navigating divorce/separation
- Counseling for couples planning marriage (pre-marriage counseling)
What Does Gottman Method Therapy Look Like?
- Therapy starts with a three part assessment of the relationship including filling out questionnaires, developed from Gottman’s research, that are designed to provide in-depth and scientific evaluation of a couple’s strengths and challenges.
- These assessments allow me to tailor therapy to the specific needs of the couple and to provide personalized feedback.
- During the first session (both partners present) we discuss what it is like to be in the relationship currently, how the relationship has evolved over time, and what the couple hopes to get out of therapy.
- Additionally, we also meet with each partner in the couple for an individual session to discuss his or her individual goals/hopes for therapy and gather more information about his or her family history and background.
- Lastly, during the third assessment session (both partners present) we give personalized feedback to the couple about the strengths and challenge areas based on the information gathered from the initial session, speaking to each partner individually about the assessment questionnaire results. This is a very personalized and collaborative process. Together, we develop a plan on how to move forward and discuss whether the Gottman Method is an approach that would work for you.
How is The Gottman Method different from other types of couples therapy?
Infographic based off on Gottman’s research
- Dyadic and allows couples to apply skills during session in order to modify arguments so that they are more productive outside of session.
- Designed to increase admiration for one another and enhance friendship—providing partners with the mutual understanding and skills that will serve them long after therapy is complete.